On Aug 14, 2009, at 1:02 PM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
wrote:

> can see a border-color use-case (we're basically talking about
> -moz-border-colors, right?), but I'm not sure that we can't address
> this.  I'd rather see things special-cased here.  Something like
> "border-image: box-gradient(border-box, black, white 8px)" would
> create the design here:
> http://www.cssportal.com/css3-preview/borders.htm.  Or, hell, just say
> that linear-gradient() *can* be given as a value to border-color,
> where it has a special meaning (direction is ignored, 0% is the inner
> edge of the border, 100% is outer edge of the border).

That seems more like a glow or a box-shadow. It's not what I imagined
for a gradient border. I imagined something that did not ignore the
direction. You can have a nice bezel effect if, for instance, your
border gradient does dark to light while your padding box goes light
to dark at the same angle.