On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 9:34 AM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Aug 13, 2009, at 1:43 PM, "Robert O'Callahan" <robert@ocallahan.org>
> wrote:
>
>  Being able to specify an angle is reasonable. However, if you want a
>> linear gradient to go from one corner of the box to another, for example,
>> and you don't know the size of the box, then you can't use an angle, or if
>> you do know the size of the box, then you have to do some trigonometry.
>>

> I don't see how that is true. The corner is implied by the angle, and once
> you have that it is the same math as defining a stop from keywords like "top
> left" or "bottom right" or whatever.

Suppose you don't know the width or height of the box, and you want the
top-left to have the start color and the bottom bottom-right to have the end
color.

If you want the angle of the gradient to be 45deg, then you need to specify
an angle, you can't do it with start and end positions.

If you want the angle of the gradient to follow the line from top-left to
bottom-right, then you can't use a fixed angle.

So I think we need both.

Rob
53:5-6]