On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 7:40 AM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>wrote:

> Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>
>> That is, specifying "white, green, orange, 66% blue, red, black"
>> would, in addition to killing my eyes, be equivalent to "0% white, 22%
>> green, 44% orange, 66% blue, 83% red, 100% black".  You can do LDB's
>> rainbow example without doing a lick of math, just by specifying each
>> color in turn.
>>

> This is exactly what I meant. :) I think this is much, much easier to
> understand, in addition to being easier to type.

I agree that this is better.

>  You should also be able to specify an angle directly, rather than as
>> two points.  Use any of the degree units, normalized to within [0deg,
>> 360deg).  The gradient originates from the corner opposite a ray at
>> that angle; in othe words, [0deg,90deg] originate from bottom left,
>> [90deg,180deg] originate from bottom right, [180deg,270deg] originate
>> from top right, and [270deg,360deg] originate from the top left.
>>

> I like Brad's suggestion of drawing the vector through through the
> center at the given angle and maxing it at the edges. If a single point
> is specified (background-position style), then the vector starts there
> and continues at the angle. If a length is specified after the angle,
> then the vector ends after that length.

Being able to specify an angle is reasonable. However, if you want a linear
gradient to go from one corner of the box to another, for example, and you
don't know the size of the box, then you can't use an angle, or if you do
know the size of the box, then you have to do some trigonometry.

Rob
53:5-6]