Re: [css3-transitions] Spec should mention mismatch in list lengths

On Monday 2009-05-18 11:43 -0700, L. David Baron wrote:
> On Monday 2009-05-18 11:29 -0700, Chris Marrin wrote:
> > We follow the CSS rules for the background property, described in CSS3:
> >
> >     http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-background/#layering
>
> Except the rules for 'background' layers have been changed so that
> the number of layers is the number of values for 'background-image':
>
>   http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-background/#layering
>
> > We follow this literally, so your last two examples would actually
> > produce 4 transitions, with the 'color' property being duplicated. This
> > would reduce back down to 3 transitions because the first 'color'
> > property animation would be overridden by the second. So in your last
> > example you'd end up with a color transition of 9738 seconds.
> >
> > I think this is the appropriate way to interpret this rule. Adding
> > special cases (as in your rules 2 and 3) just gives authors more things
> > to remember.
>
> I don't think it's particularly hard to remember that the number of
> transitions is the number of values of 'transition-property', which
> is really all I was proposing.

And, to follow up on this issue:

If the resolution of the issue in
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2009May/0153.html is
that the first one wins, then it would be undetectable which choice
we take here (all or just 'transition-property').

However, if the resolution of that issue is (as proposed) that the
last one wins, then extending the transition-property list can lead
to rather strange behavior.

So I'd prefer to say that the number of transitions is the number of
values of 'transition-property'.

-David