Re: Media interface Re: [cssom-view] new WD of CSSOM View Module

On Thu, 06 Aug 2009 02:34:47 +0200, Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com> wrote:
> On Aug 4, 2009, at 9:38 AM, Bert Bos wrote:
>> The CSS WG published an update of the CSSOM View module:
>>
>>    http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/WD-cssom-view-20090804/
>
> The Media interface on AbstractView effectively adds a property called
> 'media' to the window object. There is a high probability that this will
> conflict with web sites that have global variables called 'media' (for
> example, this happened in the WebKit layout tests).
>
> There is also terminology conflict with the HTML 5 media elements. The
> term 'media' is already rather overloaded.
>
> I suggest that the 'media' property on AbstractView be changed to make
> such conflicts less likely. Perhaps using 'css' in the name would help.

We could make the attribute replaceable I suppose. Would that work? Media
Queries are independent of CSS (see e.g. their use in the HTML5 media
elements; specifically, source ;-)) so I would rather not use CSS in the
name. I haven't really thought of anything better than just media so far.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/