Re: Idea : replacement for border-radius, a more complete corner styling property.

Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 9:32 AM, François REMY<fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr> wrote:
>> Thanks for your suggestion.
>>
>> It would be a nice to have, but I don't think any implementor would like
>> to have this included in the spec. We currently have a nearly compatible
>> solution about border-radius, nobody shall delete it from the spec in
>> favor of an hypotetical replacement.
>>
>> Maybe such features may be implemented in a later version of CSS by
>> introducting the use of a keyword in the border-radius property.
>>
>>     selector {
>>         border-radius: 10px beleved;
>>     }
>>
>> Please note that I'm not a browser implemetor, and anything I could say
>> here is only speculative and only reflects my own thoughts.
>
> This could be done in a perfectly compatible manner by introducing a
> single new property, border-radius-shape.  It takes 1-4 shape
> keywords, and interacts with border-radius in the expected way.
>
> This would then degrade to a normal curved corner in non-supporting
> browsers, which should be just fine.

This was actually discussed briefly at the August 2008 F2F meeting.
It's something I'm keeping in mind for CSS4 Backgrounds and Borders,
but not something we'll be accepting for Level 3. (We're pretty much
feature complete for L3 with this module.)

~fantasai