Re: Shadows vs. layout

On Aug 4, 2009, at 11:17 AM, David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com> wrote:

> On Aug 4, 2009, at 10:27 AM, David Perrell wrote:
>

>> Sidle up the Blinkin Scroll Bar, folks, have a round on me.
>>
>> http://hpaa.com/firefox/shadow.htm
>>
>> (Hoping to show the silliness of insistence that shadows are
>> somehow more
>> sacrosanct when they fall right and down.)
>
> Nobody is actually saying that.  Not showing a scrollbar for top/
> left overflow (as has been said in previous messages) has nothing to
> do with the type of overflow.

The point is not that anyone misses having a scroll bar for top/left
overflow, it is that no one misses having the clipped part of the
shadow there, and also would not miss the clipped part of the shadow
on the bottom/right. . Setting aside the historical reasons for not
showing scrollbars for abs pos items in the negative too/left regions,
what it is actually doing to shadows there is completely resonable and
desired, and is no less desired for the bottom/right. Even if it is
not truly an orthoganal cause for the effect, the effect of trimming
the non-visual impact of layout-less decorations when they come to the
edge that way is what we want on all four sides.