Re: Shadows vs. layout

David Hyatt wrote:
> On Aug 3, 2009, at 12:23 PM, fantasai wrote:
>
>> I completely agree. Added
>>  "Shadows never affect layout, and do not trigger scrolling."
>> to the spec, hopefully that's clear enough.
>
> I strongly disagree with this change and think it warrants further
> discussion.
>
> Shadows in WebKit are visual overflow.  If you put a box-shadow on an
> object near the bottom of a document, you'd expect to be able to scroll
> to see that shadow.  It shouldn't simply be cut off.  I see no reason
> why shadows would be special cased versus all of the other kinds of
> visual overflow that can occur on a page.
>
> Shadows are clipped if they spill out of a box with overflow:hidden
> specified. They are obviously overflow.  Why should overflow:scroll/auto
> deliberately ignore this overflow just when scrolling? That makes no
> sense to me, and is more memory-intensive to code.  You're saying the
> engine has to track shadows as visual overflow for the purposes of
> accurate container repainting, but then somehow track a completely
> second set of visual overflow numbers that exclude shadows just to
> ensure that you don't include shadow overflow when scrolling?  That's nuts.
>
> dave
> (hyatt@apple.com)

Shadows and other types of outlines do not affect neither box
dimensions nor dimensions of its container nor dimensions of
scrollable content. By definition. (space/time and so on).

E.g. window shadow is not causing scroll of desktop window not on Mac
not on Windows and not on any other GUI system I know about.

--
Andrew Fedoniouk.

http://terrainformatica.com