RE: Control over collapsing margins

-----Original Message-----
From: Giovanni Campagna [mailto:scampa.giovanni@gmail.com]
Sent: 28 April 2009 16:39
To: Niels Matthijs
Cc: www-style@w3.org
Subject: Re: Control over collapsing margins

> Of course it is a hack, but at least it works most of time.

I think, with column modules, SVG graphics, css animation and
multibg/rounded-corner boxes in the making that we shouldn't just be
content with hacking our way across margins anymore. It's one of the
most basic css properties and important for a solid page structure. I'd
hope to use it when css3 support is there without needed to hack my way
around a simple thing like this.

> On the other side, I don't see the necessity for "margin-top-collapse"
> / "margin-bottom-collapse" or even just "margin-collapse" (since we
> need margin-left-collapse and margin-right-collapse for Japanese and
> Mongolian)

It is useful from time to time. Meyer gave a good example of p's nested
in a li element (where the top of the first paragraph should line up
with the top of the li element if it isn't visually separated.

Not quite sure if a BFC is such a good idea, since this seems to involve
more than simply controlling the collapsing margin, and could have
unwanted effects?

Greets,
Niels Matthijs