RE: Control over collapsing margins

-----Original Message-----
From: Giovanni Campagna [mailto:scampa.giovanni@gmail.com]
Sent: 28 April 2009 15:36
To: Niels Matthijs
Cc: Anton Prowse; www-style@w3.org
Subject: Re: Control over collapsing margins

> For the moment, you can go with overflow:auto on the .box, to make it
> a BFC and avoid margin-collapsing. You just need to set height always
> to auto (to avoid overflow).

Not really, because by doing that you'll limit yourself. If I want an
element inside to be positioned outside of the box (pos:abs; right:-1em
fe) the overflow will trigger, creating scrollbars.

I know the ways to "fix" the collapsing margin issue, but I don't see
why we should keep on fixing it while there is an obvious need for
standardized control. Especially since there is not one perfect,
harmless way to fix this.

Greets,
Niels Matthijs