Re: Tabbed Interfaces in CSS

On Apr 25, 2009, at 5:35 PM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> One could introduce a whole new CSS property to describe legend's
> positioning behavior, but that would mean sorting our how it
> interacts with existing display/position/float.  One could add a
> hack where if the position is static and the float is none then you
> do the current behavior (though there are some interesting questions
> regarding display still).  That involves defining exactly what one
> means by "legend" in that case.  Right now in Gecko, the definition
> is basically "this thing that's out of the fieldeset's flow in this
> particular special way".

OK, I could see how its more complicated in Gecko than I imagined. But
is there any reason why it shouldn't become a more mundane inline-
block element if its position was set to absolute? Or why its width
cannot be set by the author to something else that would create a more
normal width interaction?