Re: PF-Wg feedback on CSS animations

On 24-Apr-09, at 4:03 PM, Dean Jackson wrote:
> We didn't see as much need for a transitionStart event. Can you
> think of places where you need it because the functionality isn't
> available elsewhere? For example, if you are changing property
> values via JS you're already in a better place to set up the
> transition.

While I don't have a particular use case at the moment, I could see
where you might have transitions defined on generic elements and
transitions being initiated via :hover. To determine transitionStart,
it'd be more cumbersome to have to do DOM traversal and trap mouseover
event handlers.

For example, maybe I have a sidebar with links that have a transition
on them using something like:

#sidebar a { /* define transition */ }
#sidebar a:hover {  }

Traversing the DOM, or even setting up event delegation at the top
level is cumbersome when a simple transitionStart would do the trick.

-js