Re: [css3-page] page counters and scope

Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:

> This discussion reminded me one problem I wanted to ask while ago.
>
> Are there any plans to support not only counters() but some
> other accumulators, for example "total of the page" kind of things?
>
> Sort of:
>
> @media printer
> {
>   td.total { content: page-sum-of( $(td.row-total):value ); }
> }
>
> with the markup:
>
> <tfoot>
> </tfoot>
>
> Or is this too much?

I think spreadsheet-like calculations are out-of-scope for CSS.

However, there are some proposals for more functionality from
counters, e.g. the target-counter() function
   http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-gcpm/#cross-references
and I think there was one for a last-count() or max-count()
function to grab the highest counter value.
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2007Oct/0103.html

~fantasai