Re: [CSS3] Flexible Flow Module, proposal.

David Hyatt wrote:
> On Apr 12, 2009, at 5:44 PM, Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
>
>> David Hyatt wrote:

>>> Yeah, I just brought this up in my last message as well.  The only
>>> way I can see to solve this for flex units is to actually specify
>>> both values, e.g.,
>>> width: (100px)1*
>>> or something like that....
>>
>> I am not sure I understand the problem.
>>
>> If you will define:
>>
>> #A { width:max-intrinsic; padding-left:1*; padding-right:1* }
>> #B { width:max-intrinsic; padding-left:1*; padding-right:1* }
>>
>> than widths of *border* boxes will be set in the way you want.
>>
>> Is this the answer or I've missed something?
>>

> Flexing padding won't flex the content width of the boxes, which can be
> very relevant.  If width is a value other than intrinsic for example.
>
> #A { width: 200px; box-flex: 1; }
>
> The object would first lay out at 200px and then it would flex to fill
> the remaining space.  If the box's max-intrinsic width is larger than
> 200px, then flexing will enable more content to fit in the larger
> available width after flexing.

How this

#A { width: 200px; box-flex: 1; }

is different from this:

#A { min-width: 200px; width:1*; }

?

Seems like XUL is using a concept of "preferred width" that I do not
understand. How is that "preferred width" is related to min-width,
max-width and the width in CSS?

Or is it something different completely?

--
Andrew Fedoniouk.

http://terrainformatica.com