Re: [CSS3] Flexible Flow Module, proposal.

Robert O'Callahan wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 10:44 AM, Andrew Fedoniouk
> <news@terrainformatica.com <mailto:news@terrainformatica.com>> wrote:
>
>     David Hyatt wrote:
>
>         On Apr 12, 2009, at 5:19 PM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
>

>             That is not what I was asking for.
>
>             Suppose I have elements A and B with intrinsic widths 100px
>             and 200px respectively. Suppose the container has width
>             400px, and I want the extra space to be distributed equally
>             to A and B, so they end up with widths 150px and 250px. Your
>             proposal has no way to do this as far as I can tell, nor is
>             it possible by setting min-widths or max-widths.
>
>             This is actually the default behaviour for XUL boxes, so it
>             seems important to me that any flex-box-like spec be able to
>             do it.
>

>         Yeah, I just brought this up in my last message as well.  The
>         only way I can see to solve this for flex units is to actually
>         specify both values, e.g.,
>
>         width: (100px)1*
>
>         or something like that....
>

>     I am not sure I understand the problem.
>
>     If you will define:
>
>     #A { width:max-intrinsic; padding-left:1*; padding-right:1* }
>     #B { width:max-intrinsic; padding-left:1*; padding-right:1* }
>
>     than widths of *border* boxes will be set in the way you want.
>
>     Is this the answer or I've missed something?
>

> That does not allow the children of A and B to occupy the extra width.
> The extra width can only be white space.

Ah, this.

But why not to use

#A { width:1*; }
#B { width:2*; }

if you just want to distribute their widths in 1:2 proportion?

Or do you want weights to be dependent from intrinsic width of elements?

Something like:
#A { width:max-intrinsic*; }
#B { width:max-intrinsic*; }

if to assume that intrinsic width is max-intrinsic indeed?

--
Andrew Fedoniouk.

http://terrainformatica.com