Re: [CSS3] Flexible Flow Module, proposal.

On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 7:19 AM, Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com
> wrote:

> Robert O'Callahan wrote:
>
>> Actually, one thing I don't like is the way 'flow' mutates a block into
>> something that's really quite different. It would feel better to me if there
>> were new 'display' values, say 'flow' and 'inline-flow', and 'flow' only
>> applies when one of those is set. You wouldn't need 'flow:default'.
>>

> De facto 'flow' declares all its immediate children to have something
> like:
>  block-formatting-context:true;
>
> That [hypothetical] attribute is implied on floats, absolutely positioned
> elements, inline-blocks, table-cells, table-captions and elements with
> 'overflow'.
>
> I do not think that it will cause any problems in implementation or
> understanding by web authors.
>
> If to introduce display:in-flow; then it will have following implications:
> 1) what if some child of flow-container has no display:in-flow
> 2) what if such a child needs to have display:table

I'm not sure what you think the problem is. 'display' is not inherited.
Elements with various 'display' values behave in a parent with
'display:flow' much like they would in a parent with 'display:block'.

Intention was and is to have 'flow' as orthogonal to the 'display'
> as possible.

Well, it's not. In your proposal it only makes sense for elements that have
block layout inside, i.e. block, inline-block, list-item, table-cell, maybe
run-in (although it would feel very strange indeed when a run-in loses all
its 'flow' behaviour when it runs in).

I echo what others have already said: 'flow' is almost exactly the same as
'display-model', because it defines how an element lays out its children. I
had mixed feelings about 'display-model', in particular it seemed a bit
over-complicated, but I think your proposal actually helps justify that
complexity.

If people still feel that splitting 'display' into 'display-role' and
'display-model' is too much, then I still think you should go with
display:flow and display:inline-flow to avoid overloading blocks with quite
different behaviour.

Personally though, I think I'd rather move to 'display-role' and
'display-model' instead of having to define 'inline-flow',
'inline-template', etc, and other troubles around list-items and
table-cells.

> You don't explicitly mention the order in which flow children are placed
>> (top to bottom, bottom to top, left to right, right to left). XUL flexboxes
>> let authors control this, and you probably should too, maybe via additional
>> flow values?
>>

> Oh, I've forgot to mentioned that.
>
> Attribute 'direction' as it states defines direction for the 'flow' too.
>
> Thus
>
>  flow:horizontal;
>  direction:rtl;
>
> will replace elements in RTL order.

You will probably want explicit control that does not depend on 'direction',
as well, especially for vertical flows.

> There seems to be no way to set the width of a flow child to the intrinsic
>> width plus some flex (or a specified width plus some flex). That seems like
>> a big limitation. In some cases you can use flex padding or margins to get
>> the effect, but sometimes you want the element to be able to lay out its
>> children in the extra width. Is there an easy way to fix that?
>>

> Actually there is a question about that in the document.
>
> I think it makes sense to introduce in this module values
> 'min-intrinsic','max-intrinsic' and 'intrinsic' for
> [min/max-]width, [min/max-]height attributes. They proposed
> once by David Baron but are really make sense in context of
> the 'flow' and flexes only.

That is not what I was asking for.

Suppose I have elements A and B with intrinsic widths 100px and 200px
respectively. Suppose the container has width 400px, and I want the extra
space to be distributed equally to A and B, so they end up with widths 150px
and 250px. Your proposal has no way to do this as far as I can tell, nor is
it possible by setting min-widths or max-widths.

This is actually the default behaviour for XUL boxes, so it seems important
to me that any flex-box-like spec be able to do it.

It is laid out as a table. Rules are exactly the same. The only difference
> is that flow knows about flexes. So if say element
> "c" has height defined as '1*' that row will flex (expand) taking all
> available space in the container shifting the rest to the bottom of
> the container.
>
> If it would be an interest to the spec I'll provide precise rules.

Yes, that's very important.

>  You introduce the '*' unit without really defining it.. This seems like
>> the weakest part of your proposal, does it really need to be integrated
>> here?
>>

> Yes, flex units make sense not only in context of the 'flow'. E.g.
> attempt to reproduce <table> layout in CSS requires display:table
> use them too.
>
> But for the legacy reasons I would keep flexes applicable to the flow'ed
> containers only. With the only exceptions about position:absolute | fixed
> and inline-block elements where they too have a great value.

I mean *templates* are the most underspecified part of your proposal and are
really orthogonal to the rest of it.

> And what do you think needs to be added in "2. Flex length units"
> section of http://www.terrainformatica.com/w3/flex-layout/flex-layout.htm
> to define them better?

It should at least define what the value '*' (i.e., with no number) means,
if you're going to use it in examples.

Rob
53:5-6]