Re: [css3-content] Replacing ::outside with ::inside

2009/4/12 François REMY <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr>:
> From: "Giovanni Campagna" <scampa.giovanni@gmail.com>
>>
>> 2009/4/12 François REMY <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr>:
>>>
>>> From: "Giovanni Campagna" <scampa.giovanni@gmail.com>

>>> [...]
>>>
>>> x::outside don't herit of x's properties, because x::outside is the
>>> ancestror of x.
>>> It's x that inherits from x::outside. Wrong ?
>>
>> Yeah. Pseudo-elements, regardless of where they're placed, inherit
>> from their superior parent.
>> See css3-content, section 4.3 "One difference between using elements
>> and using pseudo-elements is that the pseudo-elements inherit from the
>> elements (or pseudo-elements) that generate them, not from those they
>> are contained within."
>
> I was not aware of that. That reduces somewhat the use-cases for
> ::outside...
>
> But we still have something like that :
>
> li::outside:before {
>   content: 'An item inserted before the main item';
> }

Uhm... you can get the same with ::inside, it is just more code. Something like
li#main {
display:block;
}
li::inside {
display:list-item;
}
li::before {
display:list-item;
content:"An item etc.";
}

That is, with ::inside and ::outside you can do exactly the same
things (you just need to change point-of-view). There are things that
require more code with ::inside and things that require more code with
::outside (I found more of the latter).
This could be an argument for having both, but I don't think
implementors will be very happy from this choice.

>>> Why should this be easier to implement ?
>>
>> Because you append boxes to the box tree, instead that inserting them
>> at arbitrary points.
>
> I think we really need an implementor's meaning here

Definitely.

>>> Regards,