Re: [css3-content] Replacing ::outside with ::inside

From: "Giovanni Campagna" <scampa.giovanni@gmail.com>
> 2009/4/12 François REMY <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr>:
>> ::outside can be useful in other case that you
>> don't have mentioned.
>>
>> You look at ::outside only from the border/margin
>> point of view, but it can have many other useful
>> things.
>>
>> With ::outside, you can perform a break outside the
>> element (useful if you want to have an element on a
>> new line but doesn't contains the line break).
>>
>> * First sample :
>>   <myElem>Hello</myElem>
>>   myElem::outside::before { content: '\A'; }
>>
>> Is rendered like :
>>
>> * Second sample :
>>   <myElem>Hello</myElem>
>>   myElem::before { content: '\A'; }
>>
>> Is rendered like :
>>   <myElem><br/>Hello</myElem>
>>
>> * Last sample :
>>   <myElem>Hello</myElem>
>>   myElem::inside::before { content: '\A'; }
>>
>> Is rendered like :
>>   <myElem><br/>Hello</myElem>
>
> You think in terms of elements, not of boxes. If all properties are
> moved from "myElem" to "myElem::inside", then the visible effect of
> "myElem::before" is the same of "myElem::outside::before" with
> properties on "myElem".

But, it's a bad idea, I think, since I'm not putting my properties on
'myElem::inside' but on 'myElem'.
If CSS Properties can be moved from an element to another in contradiction
of what the author say,
we're ready for so complex problems that no UA will have this right.

>> If you have something like that :
>>
>>   <box display-model="ab">
>>   </box>
>>
>> And a CSS like that :
>>   div[display-role="a"]::outside {
>>       margin: 10px;
>>   }
>>
>> It's rendered the same way as :
>>
>>   <box display-model="ab">
>>   </box>
>>
>> The display role of the 'inner' div is no more applyable (I think), so
>> it's
>> not in the display-model of the box element.
>> But it seems the spec of display-model is unclear about how the UA must
>> react if an element in a display-model'ed
>> element contains elements that does'nt enter in the model. But it's not a
>> problem of '::outside'.
>
> What? You're mixing XSL:FO (attributes as properties), Template Layout
> (slots), display-model...

Yes, but only because it's shorter to write in my mail. We can have the same
in pure CSS.
You've understood what I wanted to say. Even if my markup is completly wrong
(which it is),
it show what I wanted to say.

If we have DIV::outside in a display model, it's likely to be as an element
was wrapping the DIV.
With all consequence that such a thing have. Authors expect so (or, at
least, me).

I find ::inside counter-intuitive, and not as useful as ::outside. But I
don't want to say your idea is
stupid, it's just not adapted to my expectation for CSS, but others people
can think otherly, and I
have respect for that, I'm just writing here to say what I think
personnally, that you are wrong in
willing to replace ::outside by ::inside.