Re: text-align property for columns (once again) [CSS21]

On Wednesday 2009-04-08 20:35 +0200, Reg Me Please wrote:
> If the chapter title was "Horizontal alignment in a cell" your
> interpretation would be true.
> But the title reads instead "Horizontal alignment in a column".
> It's that last word ("column") that makes me think those last words as
> if they were "the 'text-align' property OF THE COLUMN".
> And this is why I would call for more details in that chapter.

I think the title is the way it is because the horizontal position
of the cell is within the boundaries of the column, just as the
vertical position is within the boundaries of the row.  I agree that
it's misleading, though, both because:

 (1) the horizontal alignment is different from the vertical
     alignment in that in the vertical case, the entire cell box is
     aligned within the row, whereas the entire cell box simply
     fills the column in the horizontal case (and its contents are
     aligned within it)

 (2) it's the contents of the cell that are being aligned, not the
     cell itself (as the text says)

I think we should change "with the 'text-align' property" to "by the
value of the 'text-align' property on the cell" to clarify this, and
perhaps also change the section title from "in a column" to "of cell
contents".

-David