Re: webfonts

bob6000 wrote:
> A mature font format should provide for kerning, ligatures, and
> resolution independency. There must be a standard way to map the
> glyphs to Unicode characters. And on the Web, it should also be free
> (at least the decoding software).
>
> Defining a new format is a lot of work. It can be done when needed (as
> was PNG for bitmap graphics), but maybe there already is a format we
> can use. I know of Postscript, TrueType, MetaFont, BDF/PCF, and
> TrueDoc[2].

Funny that you mentioned all those old formats but don't mention the
most common format, which the largest number of new fonts is released
in, which is supported by most font vendors in the world, and which is
being used and supported on all platforms: OpenType. Version 1.4 of
OpenType has been standardized as ISO/IEC 14496-22, and it supports all
the requirements you've listed.

A.

--

Adam Twardoch
| Language Typography Unicode Fonts OpenType
| twardoch.com | silesian.com | fontlab.net

The illegal we do immediately.
The unconstitutional takes a little longer.
(Henry Kissinger)