Re: [css3-multicol] page-break-inside and columns

Consider this scenario; I've been editing a news letter recently that
consist of list of news articles, laid out in a couple of columns with
assorted pictures and tables. In doing is, it's crucial that short
articles are not split across neither columns nor pages, although some
larger articles with pictures may be broken up across both columns and
pages and yet other articles are broken up on columns but not pages. The
decision on when and when not to break on pages and columns are of
course subjective and a matter of taste, i.e. to make the pages
balanced, easy to read and pleasing to the eye etc.

I would love to be able to do this with html/css where each article
could be a DIV with the appropriate style. For this case, breaking pages
*and* columns would be interrelated and at least to me it would be
intuitive to control the text flow across two columns and multiple pages
with the same property. Then again, one could argue that this is the
case because of they way I would edit the text. I would add the text and
the pictures to do the columns and then review the resulting layout
without any breaks. I would then allow as well as prohibit breaks on
columns and pages to get the desired result, depending on the size and
content of the articles, etc. I could of course add breaks explicitly,
but I believe a "break-inside" property would make it easier to edit
such documents. Hard breaks tend to be very difficult to work with
because adding one break may cause problems with later breaks in the
text flow (cascading effects that are hard to predict). It's much easier
to indicated that a break is permitted rather than required. An analogy
would be the use of soft hyphens.

Consequently, I think column and page break are related and that they
may very well be controlled with the same property. Maybe not because of
what they represent on a page, but because of how they are used. I think
this is a pretty common scenario.

Regards,
Em2 Solutions AB
Michael Jansson