Re: [Backgrounds/Borders] What to do when a border-image fails to load

On Apr 1, 2009, at 12:45 PM, David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com> wrote:

> On Apr 1, 2009, at 2:23 PM, fantasai wrote:
>
>> Brad Kemper wrote:
>>> I written up a proposal that I think solves this problem, plus a
>>> couple others that I think are even bigger for authors. I'd
>>> appreciate it if everyone could take a look and let me know what
>>> you think. In the following link, I describe three problems
>>> (including this one), and a nice solution that I would love to see
>>> implemented:
>>> http://www.bradclicks.com/cssplay/border-image/Thinking_Outside_The_Box.html
>>
>> Great writeup. I think we still have some details to work out here,
>> but overall I would also like to see this put in the spec. So unless
>> we get major objections here (which seems unlikely given that roc and
>> hyatt agree), I intend to do exactly that. :-)
>>
>> BTW, I did get a suggestion over IRC that maybe border-image should
>> be
>> a shorthand for multiple properties, e.g.
>> background-image-source: <url>
>> background-image-slice: <integer>{1,4}
>> background-image-widths: <length>{1,4}
>> background-image-outset: <length>{1,4}
>> Seems useful if you want to flip the image back and forth without
>> changing the sizes, but other than that I have no comment atm.
>
> I don't think the usefulness would outweigh the cost of all the new
> properties though.
>
> dave

We could always go the opposite direction and put the whole shebang
into 'border-style'. You wouldn't be able to use it with the 'border'
shorthand, but authors probably wouldn't anyway until confident that
most UA's understood it. And this would allow Webkit and Mozilla to
implement the changes in a way that did not break existing content.