Re: [CSS Transforms] syntax of transform-origin vs. background-position

Hi Bert,

On Sep 6, 2008, at 4:51 AM, Bert Bos wrote:

> L. David Baron wrote:
>> Right now the syntax of the transform-origin property
>
> Didn't we decide last year that there wouldn't be a 'transform-
> origin' property, but that instead 'transform' would allow a
> sequence of transformations?
>
> An origin doesn't apply to normal ('static') elements anyway, and
> for absolutely positioned ones it's enough to add a translation.
>
> That is at least the version of the proposal that I copied into the
> Box module.

It is often desirable to rotate and scale an element with the center
or some other internal point rather than the top left as the anchor.
To achieve this without transform-origin, you have to translate,
rotate / scale, and translate back. In that sense, transform-origin is
only syntactic sugar, but in the course of developing a lot of CSS
Transforms based content, we have found it makes a huge difference for
ease of authoring. In particular, making the default transform origin
be the center of the element makes a huge difference.

I strongly feel that we should retain transform-origin. Strictly
speaking it does not add new capability but it makes a huge difference
to ease of authoring.

Regards,
Maciej