Re: border-radius

fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote on 03/09/2008 10:39:23:
> Nick_Hofstede@inventivegroup.com wrote:
> >
> > The usecase I had in mind was a border-collapsed table with rounded
> > outer corners. Think a rounded upper-left corner like the slashdot
> > stories have.
> >
> >           XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
> >        XX^^                      X                         X
> >       X^                         X                         X
> >      XX                          X                         X
> >      X        First Cell         X      Second Cell        X
> >      X                           X                         X
> >      X                           X                         X
> >      X                           X                         X
> >      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
>
> That's covered by the previous paragraph. This one's just talking
> about internal table elements (like rows and cells). I agree with
> David Baron that defining and implementing curved borders for
> internal table elements is complicated and I don't think it would
> be worth doing, at least not right now. For the table element
> itself I agree it makes sense.

Ah ... right. Sorry. It's just all a bit linked in mu mind.

I re-read the first paragraph a few times and I must admit I have trouble
understanding it.

- What is meant by "the border radii of adjacent corners must not
intersect"?

- I also have trouble with "The radii of a single corner should not extend
past the boundaries of the cell at that corner". I think I'm supposed to
read this as "The radii of a single corner [of the table or inline-table]
should not extend past the boundaries of the cell at that corner", but
that doesn't make sense. Radii (plural) for a single corner? Table borders
not extending past the boundaries of a cell? Not sure how to visualize
this.

- "If the computed values of the border radii would cause such an effect,
then all the border radii of the table must be reduced by the same factor
so that ...". If the effect occurs in the top-left corner for example,
does "all the border radii" mean that the radius of the bottom right
corner (which may be fine) will be adjusted as well? Won't this behavior
change if we decide to add the collapsing rules later?

- (Added after re-reading this mail a few times) Some things seem to make
more sense if radii is used to mean x and y radius. Is this what was
intended? If so, shouldn't we clarify this somehow?

Having worked on a layout engine myself (An XSL-FO one. Still working om
it btw - people start to request features like rounded corners, and the
XSL-FO working group is looking at the CSS properties for rounded
borders), I don't think defining how this should behave or implementing it
would be all that difficult if we simply extend the rules for collapsing
borders to include a precedence rule for rounding.

Nick

Inventive Designers' Email Disclaimer:

believed to be clean.