RE: CSS Charter (Apple's Wishlist)

David Hyatt wrote:

> On Mar 25, 2008, at 3:45 PM, Paul Nelson (ATC) wrote:
>
> > I would like to push back and ask why new "cool" things should be
> > considered for addition to the charter when we have core pieces that
> > are not completed yet.
> >
> > Perhaps with each new "cool" piece there should be a commitment to
> > first finish one core piece of the standard. That way we can have
> > the core pieces finished along with getting the new "cool" ideas in.
> >

> So Microsoft can propose cool new ideas like:
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-css3-grid-20070905/
>
> ...and have them worked on because they happen to fall under the scope
> of the current charter?
>
> However when Apple proposes something that happens to lie outside the
> scope of the current charter, your response is "No! We shouldn't do
> that!"
>
> While I can understand that your engine is struggling to play catch-up
> after years of neglect on your company's part, that's no excuse for
> holding the rest of the Web back.  Some of us have largely completed
> CSS2.1 and would like to see CSS improve significantly in the coming
> years.
[...]
> dave
> (hyatt@apple.com)

I fully support David here. With Safari 3.1 coming out it has leap frogged Opera with CSS support and now is racing off ahead on it own. Where does webkit go once it's gets most of CSS3 done? Wait for the rest of the implementers to catch up?

I already tired of hacking in the already cool CSS features that Sarafi 3.0 is supporting. I was successfully giving Safari background-size by serving an dummy image but no I had to change that and bring out my old lock out hack since IE8 was now incorrectly downloading my multiple background string.

http://css-class.com/test/css/backgrounds/multiple-backgrounds.htm

With the first image IE8 is trying to download.

http://css-class.com/images/examples/css3backtl.png,css3backbr.png

I could simply let IE8 download my header background image the way it sees fit and IE8 will show nothing!

I not going to simplify a design so all browser can cope. I want to have my faux column for my sidebar done the way I am now doing it now with background-size. Works perfectly in both Safari 3 and Opera 9.5.

http://css-class.com/test/css/css.htm

This would be simply done if I could use.

#wrapper2 (background: url(../images/backbluegreen2.jpg) right (20% 100%)}

But no, I must resort to using this ugly creation.

#wrapper1[id*=""]:not(:first-child) {background: url(../images/backbluegreen2.jpg) right; -webkit-background-size: 20% 100%, 20% 100%; -o-background-size:20% 100%; -khtml-background-size:20% 100%, 20% 100%;}

Should CSS3 be this hard to implement or demonstrate?

Alan

http://css-class.com/