Fwd: CSS Charter (Apple's Wishlist)

Back to list

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitchen@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 11:26 AM
Subject: Re: CSS Charter (Apple's Wishlist)
To: David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com>

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 10:42 AM, David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com> wrote:
 > Oops, meant to send this to the public list (and not the private one):

 Thank you for posting this here.

 > - Transitions
 >
 >  CSS properties that describe how a property can change smoothly from
 >  one value to another over a time interval.

 This is an interesting feature and I was impressed by potential I saw
 in the demos on the blog.

 How do CSS Transitions allow me to subscribe to an event?

 For example, if I want to have a calendar widget's show() trigger an
 animation of an element, I can build an animation object (hand
 rolled), and then subscribe to Calendar's show, calling
 animation.start().

 It seems that this is a limitation of CSS Transitions. I'd like to
 have at least some sort of way to get a transition object that has all
 of start(), pause, seekTo, as well as the properties of time,
 transition/easing algorithm, et c.

 >  Some initial proposals sent to WHATWG. No implementation.

 The WHATWG seems to be more receptive to ideas than the other w3c
 groups. I wish they had a CSS module or something.

 Garrett