Re: [CSS3] ltr and rtl pseudo-class proposal

Alan Gresley wrote:
> I wrote:
>
>> Hi Andrew, I guess you missed my initial reply.
>>
>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008Mar/0207.html
>
> http://css-class.com/test/css/selectors/attribute-dir1.htm
>
> [dir="ltr"] {background:yellow}
> [dir="ltr"] [dir="rtl"] {background:#ace}
> [dir="rtl"], [dir="ltr"] {color:red}
>

> Not to put a damper on your proposal Andrew but what were you doing
> for it not to work? Mistakes are really good to make on public
> mailing list anyway since it helps you understand CSS a little bit
> better. :-)

   <ul dir="ltr">
     <li>I would be selected by :ltr, and not by :rtl.</li>
   </ul>
   <ul dir="rtl">
     <li>I would be selected by :rtl, and not by :ltr.</li>
   </ul>

If you want to write a selector that matches all elements with rtl
direction, you can't do it with a descendant combinator.

~fantasai