Re: [CSS3] ltr and rtl pseudo-class proposal

Robert O'Callahan wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 4:08 PM, Andrew Fedoniouk
> <news@terrainformatica.com <mailto:news@terrainformatica.com>> wrote:
>
>     Robert O'Callahan wrote:
>      > So what happens with
>      >
>      > div::ltr { direction:rtl; }
>      >
>      > ?
>
>     Nothing wrong in principle.
>
>     div:ltr will match any element that has or is
>     inside element with dir="ltr" defined explicitly.
>

> You're right, I didn't read your message properly. But then ::ltr won't
> be all that useful, if it can't be relied on to match the actual direction.

And even direction:rtl does not define actual direction. Real content
will define direction of glyph rendering.

Think about direction:rtl as simply about attribute that define initial
ordering of sequence of characters, not more.

So default style sheet may have:

*:ltr { direction:ltr; }
*:rtl { direction:rtl; }

and all other declarations like:

ul {padding:....}
ul:rtl { padding:....}

And yet this allows to move :rtl/:ltr related wordings
from the spec. to set of simple declarations like:
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/sample.html

--
Andrew Fedoniouk.

http://terrainformatica.com