RE: IE8 using conditional comment violates the support of sibling selectors

No, IE8 will not remove conditional comments; the star html hack was entirely different (happy to expound on exactly how I accidentally enabled that bug if you like :) ).

-----Original Message-----
From: Alan Gresley [mailto:alan1@azzurum.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2008 10:38 AM
To: Justin Rogers
Cc: Chris Wilson; Eric Lawrence; Alex Mogilevsky; www-style@w3.org
Subject: RE: IE8 using conditional comment violates the support of sibling selectors

Justin Rogers wrote:

> Without giving too much away I think it is safe to say this particular issue will be fixed. It breaks sibling selectors, :first-child, in the future would break :nth*, and makes the selectors API available right now in Beta 1 inconsistent with other implementations.
>
> Justin Rogers [MSFT]

Does this mean that IE8 will be dropping the use of conditional comments. This is why I believed in the first place that star html hacks were possible or is IE8 just looking lest deeply inside these comments. Placing a comment between the xml prolog and doctype is throwing IE8 into quirks mode.

http://css-class.com/test/css/selectors/ie7hacktargetingopera4.htm

Have you ever tested IE8 without the vector thing with conditional comments or in other words have you removed from IE8 the ability for it to see (or use) conditional comments?

Alan

http://css-class.com/