From: fantasai [mailto:fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net]
Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2008 2:53 PM
To: Paul Nelson (ATC)
Cc: L. David Baron; Steve Zilles; www-style@w3.org
Subject: Re: [CSS21] [css3-text] Text decoration behavior

Paul Nelson (ATC) wrote:
>> However, both of these improvements seem like edge cases, and I'm not sure they're worth the
>> complexity.  How often do these cases really come up?
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/text.html#lining-striking-props
>
> Third paragraph.
>
> There is concern that the description is very detailed and prescriptive.
> I believe our desire is to have the best typography possible. There could
> be some interpretation about what is "good typography" For example, some
> might say that line-through should be done at the most readable location
> across the text. Reading the current specification would seem to indicate
> that the strike through would be across the middle of the line and miss
>  striking out superscript or subscript text.

The spec prescribes that the strike-through must be a single line, not
multiple lines. The vertical position of the line may vary by UA, but
I strongly disagree that the number of lines should vary by UA.

I'm fine with clarifying the text here. I'm opposed to changing the
requirements or the expected results.

~fantasai