Re: Collapsing elements (was: [CSS3] Proposal to add list-style-type: tree-line value)

I don't want to diminish the usefulness of being able to create a
tree-like list simply by setting the list-style-type (or being able
to style the "::marker" to set color, width, line-width, dotted, etc.
of the line), nor of being able to set presentational behaviors (such
as checkbox-like behavior) to any element. I do believe that checkbox-
like behavior is what is needed in order to change between states for
a collapsable list, just as radio-button-like behavior is what is
needed in order to change between states of a tabs panel.

To illustrate this point, I've created a working collapsable tree
list that uses already implemented features of CSS3. Instead of using
a list-style-type, it has generated content to create a small,
absolutely-positioned block to the left of each LI, and this small
block has two border edges. Each LI also has a left border edge that
the small box aligns with. For the collapsing/expanding behavior,
each UL is inside an LI, and preceded by a checkbox and label. The
":checked" pseudo-class is used with adjacency selectors and the
label to set the display of the UL when the user clicks on the label
(or when the author sets the "checked" attribute in the HTML).

You can see it here, with explanatory notes:

http://bradclicks.com/cssplay/foldingList.html

Because of the CSS3, it has varied success depending on the browser
you use. FireFox 3 works well (except I had to use a CSS hack to work
around the fact that it would not absolutely position the generated
content). The shipping version of Opera works well (except that it
doesn't understand "last-child", so the lines on the tree-list do not
look right). And Safari 3 looks good and handles the selectors
correctly (but only with the initial author-set settings: it does not
change when the user clicks to change the state of the checkbox).