Re: WebKit now supports CSS Variables

David Hyatt wrote:

> This isn't really covered in the spec, but WebKit preserves
> variable-dependent values as unresolved in the CSS OM.  So progressive
> rendering (were we to do it) would even still work.  I don't see the
> problem.  If the variable is initially undefined, you preserve the
> property/value in the CSS OM with an unresolved value, and if at any
> time you can later resolve it (when new stylesheets load) you do.  The
> variable could end up using the wrong value before using the right one
> as well with progressive rendering, but that's no worse than getting the
> wrong style before getting the right one (which is what happens today
> with FOUC).

I don't see the problem either. May I note that downloadable fonts also
defer the application of style rules in some sense. A 'font' property
can fallback until the 1st choice font is downloaded and available in
for the platform. At that time, the resolution of the property has to
happen again.

</Danel>