Re: Publishing the flexible box model

On Monday 2008-06-09 19:23 -0700, Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
> That is defined in HTML tables already:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/tables.html#h-11.2.4.4
> (See Proportional specifications there)

Sorry, but that was written by somebody who doesn't understand how
HTML table width calculation works.  It's poorly defined enough that
I removed support for it from Mozilla (which I believe was the only
browser to support it).  (And the way percentages on tables work is
really halfway between what's described in the spec as percentage
and what's described in the spec as proportional, since they are
relative to the actual size of the table, not the space available
for it.  And percentages will even flex to other amounts when all
columns have percentage widths.)

It also only defines behavior for widths, and not for margins or
heights.

It also doesn't define the effect of those proportional units on
intrinsic width calculation, what their priority is relative to
other specifications (since the column's width can be specified on
the column or on any cell), or how they work when column-spanning
cells are present.  (And I'm not saying that's an exhaustive list of
what's missing; it's just what I can think of right now.)

-David