Re: Publishing the flexible box model

Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:

> Opportunities that flexes provide outweigh possible issues
> significantly. I wish flexes were in CSS from the very beginning.
> That would simplify spec significantly (in particular all about floats).

There is nothing wrong with the float model. It's the 'block formating
context' model that need redefining since we only have trouble with
floats mostly when they are followed in the source by an elements that
establish a new 'block formating context' such a position:absolute,
position:fixed, overflow:auto or overflow:hidden.

> And yet it will make obsolete that holy-wars about tables
> used for layout purposes. Flexes give even more than you can do with
> html tables.
> As I said in 3 years that we are using flexes we didn't met anything
> that could not be resolved in boundaries of
> CSS constraints/ideology.

The only constraints of CSS2.1 is the self imposed constraints of
undefined behavior. All behaviors must be spelled out explicitly as A, B
and C. An implementation should not have a choice to have a guess of a
desired behavior.

If such a situation continues to happen then effectively you are
allowing a large share of CSS properties and values to be useless for
authors to use. It pointless adding (CSS3) to something (CSS2.1) that
will never be resolved or work.

>> So, we need a spec proposal that carefully considers all the possible
>> interactions between flex-units and CSS layout where flex-units can be
>> used, and describes how issues (such as the ones already raised) are
>> resolved.
>>
> I agree. The problem is that I am personally is not that good in writing
> specs. If someone will help me than we can come up with something.[...]

This raises an important question. If you are personally not good at
writing specs, can you be good at understanding the currents specs?

This can also apply generally, can a good spec be written by those who
are not experience enough in using CSS?

> --
> Andrew Fedoniouk.
>
> http://terrainformatica.com