Re: [CSS21] Section 2.3

Grant, Melinda wrote:
> This section introduces the CSS processing model and breaks it into 'steps'. The steps are
> subsequently identified as either in or out of scope for CSS 2.1.
>
> I question the designation of step 5, the generation of a 'formatting structure', as in-scope.  I
> also question the designation of step 6, displaying, printing, or otherwise presenting the
> result, as out-of-scope.

The process of transferring the results of CSS layout to the target medium is indeed out-of-scope.
We do not define how to handle pixel rounding, for example, or zooming, for another. I think if
you consider "formatting structure" as "a representation of the CSS layout result" then the steps
here make sense.

> (What tests should be written to verify the correct implementation of the 'formatting structure',
> if that is in-scope?  Why are we writing tests that verify correct display or print output, if
> that is out-of-scope?)

The same reason as the Selectors test suite uses CSS. CSS isn't part of the Selectors
specification, but it is the most practical way to test selectors support in CSS UAs.

~fantasai