Re: [css3-color] currentColor parsing issues

On Wednesday 2008-07-23 17:49 +0000, Krzysztof Maczy�ski wrote:
> > If the 'currentColor' keyword is set on the 'color' property itself, it is treated as 'color:inherit' at parse time.
> I see 3 issues with it:
> 1. It's an imprecise statement. Replacing the string
> 'currentColor' with 'color:inherit' would result in parse error.

I think saying it's treated as 'color: inherit' is probably a little
clearer than saying it's treated as 'inherit'.

> 2. 'color:inherit' has no space, which is syntactically valid, but
> rather not recommendable.

Not particularly important, but I suppose I'll change it.  I might
want to put the 'color: inherit' inside a span with white-space:
nowrap, though, so it doesn't break.

> 3. The purpose of the addition "at parse time" is unclear to me.
> Does it mean that 'color:inherit' gets into CSSOM, for example? Is
> the intent to make currentColor and inherit on color
> indistinguishable for any CSS technology (but of course not to XML
> or HTML DOM, as parsing of those occurs (at least conceptually)
> before CSS parsing)? If so, why?

The "at parse time" was removed (because the implication for CSSOM
was undesired and inconsistent with handling of other such things in
CSS), but now I notice that the same text occurs in two places.  It
should have been removed in both.

-David