Re: Parent Combinator / Parent pseudo-class

Francois Remy wrote:

> Sorry but it's not true... If you talk about the fact about the fact I
> abonnate myself on mouseover events, please give my a solution that can
> do I receive a JScript event any time something change for the specified
> element ? It's not possible in JScript. So, yes, I must abonnate myself
> on the event manually. But there's no other possibility.... Yes, there's
> setInterval, but it's not really the good solution.
>
> You can change it to (where ... are respectively the "before-selector
> selector" and "child-selector" in my sample).
> Then, you can add a new css rule replace :with.... with ".-with-child-n".
>
>        var cwc_count = 0;
>        function createCSSWithChildRule(beforeSelector, childSelector,
> afterSelector, rule) {
>            var count = cws_count; cws_count=cws_count+1;
>
>            var sheet = document.createStyleSheet();
>            sheet.cssText = beforeSelector + ".-with-child-"+count + " "
> + afterSelector + "{" + rule + "}";
>
>            function update() {
>                var divs = document.querySelectorAll(beforeSelector);
>                var l=divs.length;
>                for (var i=0; i<l; i++) {
>                    if (divs[i].querySelector(childSelector)) {
>                        divs[i].className="-with-child-"+count;
>                    } else {
>                        divs[i].className="";
>                    }
>                }
>            }
>
>            /* I don't have better solution if we must generalize in
> JScript */
>            setInterval(update, 500);
>        }
>
>    createCSSWithChildRule("body > div", "a:href", "a", "background:
> yellow")
>

> Fremy

/* I don't have better solution if we must generalize in JScript */
    setInterval(update, 500);

(As far as I understand you think that there is a better
solution, right?)

Your function update() {} has worst case complexity O(n*n).
You can *easily* hit the point when it will take more than 500ms
to execute. So UA will be busy crunching selectors most of the time.

Cheers.

--
Andrew Fedoniouk.

http://terrainformatica.com