Re: Opacity relative to multiple ancestors

Marshal Horn wrote:
> A VERY powerful addition to CSS3 (that doesn't conflict with the current method)
> The ability to specify the opacity of an item individually to each of
> its ancestor tags.  Say you have a list item inside an untitled list,
> nested in a div tag (which is the direct descendant of the body).
> Assume they all have content or solid backgrounds.
> I believe it best to add the transparencies, because it allows for the
> most flexibility and control.  However, there is an additional value
> called "auto" to allow an opacity to that layer to be overridden if it
> is specified elsewhere (of course, default is 1.0)
> Now there's three options if an object tries to lend more than its full opacity:

I'm having trouble understanding your request. Can you draw a picture of
the effect you are trying to achieve and explain how it cannot be done with
'opacity' as it works today?

> This would be an addition to CSS3 Color Module section 3.2
> http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-iccprof#transparency

Hm. A more up-to-date URL would be http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-color/#transparency

The CSS3 Color module is very close to done. It's too late to add anything
there.

~fantasai