Re: Scoped style sheets.

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 11:39 AM, Brad Kemper <brkemper@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Jul 15, 2008, at 9:06 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>
> Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com> wrote:
>
>> I propose to drop that <style scoped> feature then.
>> As, it seems, no one have clear idea of their purpose.
>

> No...  Their purpose is quite clear, and has been explained in several ways
> by several people.  They allow you to create a set of styles which can only
> affect a subset of the document.
>

> That is already very easily done. This really seems more and more like a
> solution in search of a problem.

Yes, it's easy for a site author to create selectors which target a section
of a document.  It's currently impossible (without a CSS parser/rewriter) to
make a *set* of styles only target a section of a document, especially when
the styles aren't written by the document author, but instead by end-users
or middle-users (such as, say, people on a social network styling their
individual pages).

In other words, it's intended to create a CSS sandbox, which is extremely
difficult to achieve with current methods.

~TJ