Re: Question/Suggestion : min-left, min-right etc...

On Jul 11, 2008, at 8:32 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 11:48 AM, Kevin Cannon <kevin@multiblah.com>
> wrote:
>

> Hi there,
>
> Searched through the archives and couldn't find anything like this.
> Does anyone know if there's any properties like this proposed in CSS3?
>
> The min-width, max-width properties are excellent and add a lot to
> creating fluid layouts, however min-left would be invaluable.
>
> It would allow you to do things like this, for example placing a
> banner on the top right, but preventing it overlapping the logo on
> the left.
>
> #logo {
>   position: absolute;
>   top: 0;
>   left: 0;
>
>   width: 100px;
>   height: 70px;
> }
>
> #banner {
>   position: absolute;
>   top: 0;
>   right: 0;
>   min-left: 110px;
>
>   width: 700px;
>   height: 120px;
> }
>
> Would something like this be feasible at all?
>
> Regards,
>
> - Kevin
>
> Well, when it actually becomes a reality the Template module will be
> exactly what you need.  Using absolute positioning for layout is
> *still* a bit of a hack (though a fairly stable one and imo much
> less of one than the float abuse that often takes place) - Template
> will let you specify clearly that you want two slots, with #logo
> filling the left one and #banner filling the right one, and that you
> want the left slot to be at least 110px wide.

min-left/right/top/bottom would be much simpler and more obvious, and
useful for times when you are already using the very familiar
positioning properties. I've often wished for this, not just for
laying out entire pages, but for smaller areas that required absolute
positioning. It would probably also be useful for relative positioning.