Re: [css3-color] ICC implementation

Chris Murphy wrote:

> And then also that there has been no implementation of gamma correction,
> and still there is no implementation of gamma (only) correction, Section
> 3.1.1 which remains in the spec?

Do you mean gamma correction in general, or a CSS specification for it?
  You can't do transparency or anti-aliasing properly without it
(although I suspect that a lot of image replacements are not properly
gamma corrected!).

I would be interested to know how many authors actually understand gamma
correction.  It is very common on amateur and in house designed web
sites to find images with gamma 1.0, yet the authors seem to be
oblivious as to how dark they render).  It is also not that uncommon to
find ones with the Mac gamma, although they are more likely to come from
a design agency.  To some extent this is exacerbated because it seems
that some digital cameras generated gamma 1.0 but label it as sRGB.
(The problem being that image sensors generally approximate gamma 1.0
devices, so need gamma correcting for either sRGB use or to achieve
equal perceptual brightness steps between digitisation levels.  sRGB
approximates CRT behaviour; the Mac approximates equal perceptual
brightness).

Images with bad gamma appear in PDF as well.

--
David Woolley