Re: Opera's Proposal for :context Selector

* Lachlan Hunt wrote:
>   This is a proposal for a new :context pseudo-class designed to match
>the context node of a query, where the the scope of elements that match
>a given Selector is constrained to be within a subtree rooted by a
>particular node.

If we do this, we should say that selectors are evaluated in a context,
and that the context optionally consists of (among things like default
namespace and namespace bindings) an element called the context element
and the context element and only the context element matches :context.

By definition, pseudo-classes constrain which elements selectors match,
and :context would always be equivalent to *:context (modulo namespaces)
so it cannot match other node types like inexistant element nodes or a
document node, otherwise the bare universal selector would have to match
them aswell.

If other node types are crucial to the proposal, I think you'll have to
use a different construct than a pseudo-class. I am also not sure why
you have a definition of "scope" in the proposal, and I don't understand
its definition (it is procedural, that might be the problem). Could you
say why a definition of "scope" is needed, as opposed to using my defi-
nition above?