Re: Proposal for adding variable declaration blocks

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 1:18 PM, Brad Kemper <brkemper@comcast.net> wrote:
> IIRC, "orange" was a little bit different on a couple different browsers I
> tried.

Surely not modern ones, the ones that might actually implement this
spec?  The value of orange has been specified for ages, hasn't it?

> And I fully expect that the CMYK values would vary for printing, if
> that has never been agreed upon. So it would also be nice to have a print
> style sheet in which they could be given a CMYK value.

Well, better to have that defined in some fashion by the spec.

> I disagree that the functional notation is very CSS-y. It seems more
> JavaScripty to me. So far I haven't had to use it very much at all in my CSS
> (I know it is in clip and a couple of CSS3 properties).

Functional notation "currently" (in CSS3 drafts or earlier) seems to
be used for: attr(), url(), counter(), calc(),
rgb()/rgba()/hsl()/hsla(), and probably several other things.  It
seems to basically be used for any type of value that must encompass a
wide range of values, and that doesn't naturally use some kind of
suffix notation (px, em, %, etc.).  It is kind of ugly and hard to
type, though, I agree.

> How about the equals sign? It can be typed quicker, plus it has a certain
> logic to it since it is often used for assignment in other languages:
> background: =backgroundColor;

Seems unnecessarily opaque.  If we're going with sigils of some kind,
the dollar sign is the obvious choice.