Re: WebKit now supports CSS Variables

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008, Daniel Glazman wrote:

>>> It's brand new. It's called "Variable constants". Patent's pending ;-)
>>
>> It's called "macro definition", about 50 years old.
>
> Exactly, and that's PRECISELY what we want to avoid. We're not doing
> macros, that can used anywhere, here.

what precisely you want to avoid?
a) avoid parametrisation of common style templates (i.e. some kind
    of more-or-less syntax-bounded macroprocessing - regardles what
    you call it - in declarative language such as css),
b) avoid to put css users into the hell of global variables, where
    they will be enforced to implement same functionality as in (a),
    but in this case: no rules, no mercy, no implementation efficiency...
    (hopefully not all users, just cssom/js ones. there is no needs
    for such 'variables' _inside_ css language)