Re: Dots vs. dashes

On 27/01/2008, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:

> Brad Kemper wrote:
> > Oxfords defines a dot as "a small round mark or spot". So, it would seem
> > that "round" is a key aspect of what makes something a dot. Yet in my
> > tests, both Safari and Opera had square dots. Can clarification be added
> > to the spec, to the effect of "dots should be round, when the width of
> > the border is large enough to distinguish round from square (more than
> > 3px thick, for instance)"?
>
> Ok, I've clarified the editor's draft by adding "round" in front of "dots"
> and "square-ended" in front of "dashes".

FWIW, though, I would say that there is typographical (as well as
mathematical, though that would be OT) precedent for non-round
dots, and iirc the draft for emphasis marks in CSS also specifies
non-round dots. So the Oxford Dictionary is, unfortunately, wrong
on this one.

(Depending on which Oxford is being talked about, this may or
may not be surprising.)
--
cheers,
-ambrose

Yahoo and Gmail must die. Yes, I use them, but they still must die.
PS: Don't trust everything you read in Wikipedia. (Very Important)