Re: @classattr and @styleattr

Nikodem wrote:

> To have <... class="..."> in whole XML world, not only in [X]HTML.
>
> @namespace ns "http://myserv/ns";
> @classattr ns|class;

Considering another recent thread, where are these allowed in relation
to @charset and, more particularly, @import?

Does the scope include @imported sheets?

> /* if more than one declared, last replaces others */
> .abc{color:red}

I guess this is fairly harmless if it is limited a single file, or that
file and its imports.  I think it would cause chaos if used with any
greater scope - at the very least, you would need an !important type
mechanism.

If used for a single file, it becomes pure syntactic sugar, and probably
something that should be handled by a server side pre-processor (that
way you will also get it now, rather than having to wait ten years
before you can rely on it working).

I am not, however, sure that such a short hand is going to be
appropriate in most other markup languages.  It's useful for XHTML
because XHTML deliberately only has light semantic, but one would hope
that more domain specific languages would have enough semantics in the
core language for appropriate styling.

> @styleattr style all;
> @styleattr print-style print;

That's predicated on mixing style and contents, which is contrary to the
aim of CSS.  Although they tend to get used in examples, to keep the
example small, style attributes are discouraged in HTML.

You would need to ask the implementors whether they treat style
attributes specially, or just stuff them in the DOM and then recognize them.

--
David Woolley