Re: Proposal: text-vertical-position property

On 24/01/2008, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:
> That said, what are the use cases for this?  When is it useful?
> (Can it be useful in cases where the author doesn't necessarily know
> what fonts are going to be used?)

FWIW, isn't it true that the author NEVER knows (for sure) what
fonts are going to be used? (That's why we should specify
serif / sans-serif etc as fallback, right? And even that can fail
for pathological cases.)

Returning to the proposal, though, what would the bbox option
be intended to do? At least for some fonts, the font bbox would
not have any meaningful use due to a few odd glyphs with a
very large bbox, say; I would say that, in general, the font
bbox is meaningless for the purpose of vertical alignment.
--
cheers,
-ambrose

Yahoo and Gmail must die. Yes, I use them, but they still must die.
PS: Don't trust everything you read in Wikipedia. (Very Important)