Re: Line layout in browsers

At 2:38 PM -0600 1/21/08, David Hyatt wrote:

>Borders increase the span height (as does padding).  If you put 1px
>top and bottom borders on a span in an attempt to "see where it is",
>then you just made a span box that is 2px taller.  Therefore at a
>line-height of 1 (100px), there will be a slight overlap since the
>span boxes are a bit taller than the height of the line (102px).

    Agreed.  In the case we were discussing, though-- the first test
on
<http://meyerweb.com/eric/css/tests/line-height/bigtext-spans.html>--
there is no padding on the spans, and at 'line-height: 1' there's a
more than a few pixels of overlap in Safari and IE.

--
Eric A. Meyer (eric@meyerweb.com)     http://meyerweb.com/