Re: [Fwd: Re: [whatwg] simple numbers]

Keryx Web wrote:

> I see your point. However, separating actual numbers from the unit makes
> a lot of sense as well.

There are pre-web conventions for that, simply append /USD to the end of
the column heading (or ($)).

> Another way to set units might be through an (X)HTML attribute. This
> discussion was started on the WHAT-WG list, as I thought we might even
> need a special number element. That would enable browsers to apply

I think the best way is to make the units part of the text content and
have the canonical number as an attribute.  That way, you retain the
markup language heritage.  Similar suggestions have been made for dates,
i.e. have the ISO date as an attribute, and the document language's
convention for dates in the actual text.

--
David Woolley