Re: positioned elements: center

On Jan 8, 2008, at 9:57 PM, Brad Kemper wrote:

>> I think the position: center scheme is less clear on what happens
>> when
>> e.g. 'left' is 'calc(50% + 5em)'...
>
> Unless I am missing something (its possible, I admit), there is no
> "left" that can be used with position:center (unlike every other
> value for "position" other than "static"). To my understanding, the
> positioning starts and ends once "position" is given a value of
> "center". If you change the value of "position" to something that
> "left" can be used with, then it no longer has a value of "center".

Ah, I stand corrected on this one point. I do see now that it does
have its own version of what left, right, top, and bottom are
supposed to do. I suppose a very careful reading might reveal to
authors what those values do for position:center and how they differ
from position:absolute. I don't think it is as intuitive, though.